Liang,

Most likely, the problem is with the computer's graphics card drivers
and OpenGL libraries.  You will need to install the latest graphics
drivers and you can get them from the manufacturer of the graphics
card.  This is a very common problem on Linux.

In the meantime, you can try running "caret5_mesa".  This command uses
a software version of the OpenGL libraries but operations will be
slow.  If the surface appears correctly using "caret5_mesa" the
problem is definitely with the graphics card drivers.

John Harwell