Hi Elsie,

Yes Caret5 can read FreeSurfer files.  You will need to know if the
file is ASCII (usually ends with "asc") or binary.  You will also need
to know if the file is a "patch" file which usually has "patch" in its
name.  If the file is a patch file, you must open it AFTER opening a
non-patch file such as an "orig" file.

In Caret5:
* Select File Menu->Open Data File.
* Set the File Type to "Free Surfer Ascii Surface File" or "Free
Surfer Binary Surface File".  Select your file and press the Open
Button.

On the command line, using caret_command (run caret_command -file-
convert for help information):

             Convert the free surfer surface into closed topology and
fiducial
             coordinate files.  Create a spec file for a left cortex.
                 -file-convert -sc -is FSS lh.orig.asc -os CARET
fiducial.coord \
                      closed.topo FIDUCIAL CLOSED -spec file.spec -
struct LEFT

             Convert the free surfer patch into cut topology and flat
             coordinate files.  Create or add to the spec file as left
cortex.
             Write the coord and topo files in text format.
                 -file-convert -sc -is FSP lh.oc.flat.asc lh.orig.asc \
                      -os CARET flat.coord cut.topo FLAT CUT -spec
file.spec \
                      -struct LEFT -outtext

By the way, there is a committee (GIFTI, www.nitrc.org/projects/gifti)
that has developed a common surface file format for neuroimaging file
formats.  Both Caret and FreeSurfer are part of this committee.  In
the not too distant future you, and others, should be able to use the
GIFTI format for your data and move between different neuroimaging
software applications without having to do any file format conversion.

John Harwell
j...@brainvis.wustl.edu

Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology
660 S. Euclid Ave   Box 8108