Maybe responses on the Shibboleth users list did not entirely explain the
situation. If you delegate authN to CAS, you effectively end up with three,
maybe four, sessions:

CAS server and its container (CASTGC, JSESSIONID).
CAS client on the Shibboleth IdP (e.g. mod_auth_cas)
Shibboleth container (e.g. Tomcat, JSESSIONID)
Shibboleth IdP (in memory, I think).

I think you'll find in Shibboleth users archives discussions on the topic of
reducing the IdP session timeout. Depending which CAS client you use, you'll
want to reduce its session time. The Shibboleth container may or may not be a
factor; YMMV.

Tom.