Did you look at the sample Maven overlay from Unicon?:

https://github.com/UniconLabs/simple-cas4-overlay-template

That contains a pom.xml, as well as a few other things that are
commonly customized -- in etc there's cas.properties and log4j2.xml,
and under the src branch there's spring-configuration and
propertyFileConfigurer.xml.  As the page says, you'll almost certainly
need to customize cas.properties and deployerConfigContext.xml.

What exactly you include in there depends on what you're going to
modify/customize.  With minor local customizations, you might have
just those few files; if you want/need to change more, you'll have
other things in there.

Milt Epstein
Programmer in Computational Genomics
Institute for Genomic Biology (IGB)