I'm working out LDAP direct bind with 4.2.0 RC1.

Relying on mostly default ldaptive configuration, the following works
when I directly wire in the bind DN format arguments:

<ldaptive:direct-authenticator id="authenticator"
    format="uid=%1$s,ou=...,dc=ucdavis,dc=edu"
    ldapUrl="${ldap.url}" />

Try as I might, I can't seem to come up with the magic escaping
incantation on the format (searchFilter) to make the documented way of
doing this work:

<ldaptive:direct-authenticator id="authenticator"
    format="${ldap.authn.searchFilter}"
    ldapUrl="${ldap.url}" />

These properties are in cas.properties.

Any hints? I've tried HTML character encodings, UTF-8 encoding, layers
of backslashes, all to no avail (I'm no Java/Spring/... expert).

Thanks for any assistance!

Tom.