We have successfully done that. Our CAS login page show both Angular material look-and-feel and traditional HTML look-and-feel based on the theme.

However, if you are switching CAS front-end to Angular JS, keep in mind that you won't get much benefit from Angular JS, as CAS UI is primarily a server side Spring Web Flow + JSP technology.

The reason we had to support Angular Material is because one of the apps. has an Angular Material look-and-feel, so the login page has to match that style.

Yan