This issue looks to have just bit us with 4.2.x, as well.

A network configuration error led to losing two of our four CAS servers at a
busy time of day. Some fraction of the users needed to re-login, so there was a
natural increase in LDAP pool connections. Every time the validator ran, each
connection in the pool failed validation, forcing the creation of a new set of
connections. We didn't notice this behavior earlier but, now that we look at
it, it's been there all along.

Tom.

--
- CAS gitter chatroom: https://gitter.im/apereo/cas