Yes, for now it is only the appended part which is blocking. But I could
also imagine other algorithms that are not supported now, think about
pepper or adding the salt every iteration. In my opinion it would be great
to add the possibility to choose your hash class, just like you select your
password encoder for example. But if I am really the only one with this
problem, than this might be an overkill.

And in addition I wondered why this relatively simple hashing is delegated
to apache shiro while you can write it yourself with only the
java.security.MessageDigest dependency in almost the same amount of lines.
The 'default' MessageDigest also supports all the algorithms. IMO this
would simplify the code quite a lot. (This is how I fixed it for myself
now).