Ray, I now have the behavior that I was hoping by using these settings:

cas.ticket.tgt.timeout.maxTimeToLiveInSeconds=7200

cas.ticket.tgt.timeToKillInSeconds=28800

Notice that what you and I are essentially using is opposite what the TGT
expire policy doc maxTimeToLiveInSeconds/timeToKillInSeconds  specifies.
Thus the source of my confusion.

Thank you very much for the help!
Duane