Hi Matt,

About "building your own login screen", and making it "the default in CAS",
I think a better approach will be to use "*theme" *as specified here:
https://apereo.github.io/cas/5.2.x/installation/User-Interface-Customization-Themes.html

This might help you about the theme
edit: https://groups.google.com/a/apereo.org/forum/#!topic/cas-user/k-yfoou7Zy0

Using login-webflow.xml to create another login view, you would need to
change a lot of stuff, which will be pretty difficult and future CAS build
might break your login-webflow.xml. Modifying login-webflow just for that,
seems not a very CAS way to handle login screen modification.

Maybe you can try using theme first, before diving into login-webflow.xml
if theme does not suit your needs.

Cheers!
- Andy