I had previously asked a near identical question here:
https://groups.google.com/a/apereo.org/forum/#!topic/cas-user/3xOdHIgj9x8

That ended with an unknown and I left it with the belief that if it is
possible to do what I want in CAS 3.5.2, it would probably be more trouble
than it's worth since we will hopefully be moving to CAS 5.1 some time this
year. But now I come back to the same question with CAS 5. Right now I'm
receiving this from CAS:

<cas:serviceResponse xmlns:cas='http://www.yale.edu/tp/cas'>
    <cas:authenticationSuccess>
*        <cas:user>toben.archer</cas:user>*
        <cas:attributes>
            <cas:uid>toben.archer</cas:uid>
            <cas:mail>toben.arc...@usd.edu</cas:mail>
        </cas:attributes>
    </cas:authenticationSuccess>
</cas:serviceResponse>

I would like to receive this:

*        <cas:user>toben.arc...@usd.edu</cas:user>*
        <cas:attributes>
            <cas:uid>toben.archer</cas:uid>
            <cas:mail>toben.arc...@usd.edu</cas:mail>
        </cas:attributes>
    </cas:authenticationSuccess>
</cas:serviceResponse>

For clarity, I want the cas:user element of the response to be my mail
attribute that it received from LDAP (who is managing the authentication).
One of our applications needs this, so I also need to be able to do it in a
way that works for one application but leaves the others uneffected. Is
this possible? If so how would I go about it?