Hello All

I've been running CAS 5.2.4-SNAPSHOT using LDAP authentication with no
problems.  When I try to use CAS 5.3.0-RC2 I get errors with my

cas.authn.ldap[0].userFilter=cn={user}

property.  When I have it in my cas.properties file, CAS exits with the
following error on startup -

2018-03-27 00:59:53,803 WARN [org.apereo.cas.web.CasWebApplicationContext] -
<Exception encountered during context initialization - cancelling refresh
attempt: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error
creating bean with name 'casBeanValidationPostProcessor' defined in class path
resource [org/apereo/cas/config/CasCoreUtilConfiguration.class]:
BeanPostProcessor before instantiation of bean failed; nested exception is
org.springframework.beans.factory.UnsatisfiedDependencyException: Error
creating bean with name
'org.springframework.transaction.annotation.ProxyTransactionManagementConfiguration':
 Unsatisfied dependency expressed through method 'setConfigurers' parameter 0;
nested exception is
org.springframework.beans.factory.UnsatisfiedDependencyException: Error
creating bean with name 'casCoreTicketsConfiguration': Unsatisfied dependency
expressed through field 'casProperties'; nested exception is
with name 'cas-org.apereo.cas.configuration.CasConfigurationProperties': Could
not bind properties to CasConfigurationProperties (prefix=cas,
ignoreInvalidFields=false, ignoreUnknownFields=false,
ignoreNestedProperties=false); nested exception is
org.springframework.boot.bind.RelaxedBindingNotWritablePropertyException:
Failed to bind 'cas.authn.ldap[0].userFilter' from
'applicationProfilesProperties' to 'authn.ldap[0].userFilter' property on
'org.apereo.cas.configuration.model.core.authentication.AuthenticationProperties'>

If I comment the property out, CAS gets to the point of trying to initialize my
direct bind to the LDAP server, but then stops with this error -

2018-03-27 01:22:16,484 WARN [org.apereo.cas.web.CasWebApplicationContext] -
<Exception encountered during context initialization - cancelling refresh
attempt: org.springframework.beans.factory.UnsatisfiedDependencyException:
Error creating bean with name 'authenticationTransactionManager' defined in
class path resource
[org/apereo/cas/config/CasCoreAuthenticationConfiguration.class]: Unsatisfied
dependency expressed through method 'authenticationTransactionManager'
parameter 0; nested exception is
org.springframework.beans.factory.UnsatisfiedDependencyException: Error
creating bean with name 'casAuthenticationManager' defined in class path
resource [org/apereo/cas/config/CasCoreAuthenticationConfiguration.class]:
Unsatisfied dependency expressed through method 'casAuthenticationManager'
parameter 2; nested exception is
with name 'authenticationEventExecutionPlan' defined in class path resource
[org/apereo/cas/config/CasCoreAuthenticationConfiguration.class]: Bean
instantiation via factory method failed; nested exception is
org.springframework.beans.BeanInstantiationException: Failed to instantiate
[org.apereo.cas.authentication.AuthenticationEventExecutionPlan]: Factory
method 'authenticationEventExecutionPlan' threw exception; nested exception is
with name 'ldapAuthenticationHandlers' defined in class path resource
[org/apereo/cas/config/LdapAuthenticationConfiguration.class]: Bean
instantiation via factory method failed; nested exception is
org.springframework.beans.BeanInstantiationException: Failed to instantiate
[java.util.Collection]: Factory method 'ldapAuthenticationHandlers' threw
exception; nested exception is java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: To create a
search entry resolver, user filter cannot be empty/blank>

I know CAS 5.3.0 has made changes to configuration binding behaviour, and I
have found and made some changes to my cas.properties, but I can't work this
one out.  I've searched through the current Development docs, but can't find
any reference to cas.authn.ldap[0].userFilter anywhere!  Has it been changed,
and I am missing the new name, or is this a bug?  I am at a loss.

Thanks in advance
Darin

Darin Russell
Assistant Manager Information Technology - Moore Theological College

Phone: +61 2 9577 9893 |
Address: 1 King Street, Newtown NSW 2042 Australia | Web: www.moore.edu.au |
CRICOS Provider Code: 00682B

Important Notice: This email is for the named recipient only.  Its contents are
confidential and may contain legally privileged information.  The unauthorised
use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this message is strictly forbidden.
If you receive this email in error, please contact the sender immediately and
delete the email and all attachments from your system. This email is subject to
copyright. Copyright: Moore Theological College Council.