Linda,

Here is (was) our stanza for 3.5.2.1:

    <appender name="console" class="org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender">
        <param name="encoding" value="UTF-8" />
            <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%d %-5p [%c] - &lt;%m&gt;%n"
/>
        </layout>
        <!-- exclude listing services when debugging org.jasig.* with partial
match of log message -->
        <filter class="org.apache.log4j.varia.StringMatchFilter">
          <param name="stringToMatch" value="Adding registered service" />
          <param name="acceptOnMatch" value="false" />
        </filter>
        <!-- exclude log messages when load balancer checks heartbeat -->
        <filter class="org.apache.log4j.varia.StringMatchFilter">
          <param name="stringToMatch" value="Extractor did not generate
service" />
          <param name="acceptOnMatch" value="false" />
        </filter>
        <!-- following filter turns off all messages unless stated otherwise
with a prior filter -->
        <!-- <filter class="org.apache.log4j.varia.DenyAllFilter" /> -->
    </appender>

Ray

P.S. you may want to consider moving to CAS 6.x. Configuration files will have
to be remain either way.