I tried both now, but there seems to be no difference.
I have noticed however that whatever I put into the
<cas-war-repo>/etc/cas/services or /etc/cas/services the output always
states 2 services being loaded from the JSON Registry. Even if I delete all
services from those folders, clean build and run.
2019-06-07 11:01:43,051 INFO [org.apereo.cas.services.
AbstractServicesManager] - <Loaded [2] service(s) from [JsonServiceRegistry
].>

I would like to see what services these are and tried to enable the
actuator registeredServices using these properties
(https://apereo.github.io/cas/6.0.x/configuration/Configuration-Properties.html#actuator-management-endpoints):
management.endpoints.enabled-by-default: true
management.endpoints.web.base-path:     /actuator
management.endpoints.web.exposure.include:      info,health,status,
configurationMetadata,registeredServices

But the actuator is not available after booting on <cas-url>/cas/actuator/
registeredServices