At the moment we're using Tomcat 8.5.x and Java 1.8.x (OpenJDK).

I don't have Tomcat settings like the ones you show (property file style),
because I use an external Tomcat and it's configured with XML files. The
settings are the same as what's documented here:

https://dacurry-tns.github.io/deploying-apereo-cas/setup_tomcat_overview.html

The only performance-related changes there would be enabling resource
caching, enabling asynchronous requests (I don't believe CAS will work
without this), and making sure that asynchronous logging is enabled.

The SSL configuration does enable a better-performing SSL library, but I
can't imagine that your problem lies there. (My reasons for enabling it
were less for performance reasons and more for better support of newer
ciphers, etc.)

--

DAVID A. CURRY, CISSP
*DIRECTOR • INFORMATION SECURITY & PRIVACY*

71 FIFTH AVE., 9TH FL., NEW YORK, NY 10003
+1 646 909-4728 • david.cu...@newschool.edu