I've not tried this for the json service registry files, but I do use
some system variables in my cas.properties. In order to do so, you have to
set it in JAVA_OPTS

So, for the example in Nebil's post, assume ${path.system.variable} should
be set to a path matching the $HOSTNAME of the host:

export JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Dpath.system.variable=/${HOSTNAME}"

That way, again, I haven't tried this in the json file, only in the
.properties file, the "location" : "${path.system.variable}/public.key",
should be read as "location" : "/the_hostname_here/public.key",

I add my JAVA_OPTS to my setenv.sh file

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5241743/how-do-i-use-the-java-opts-environment-variable