Hi Thatcher,

I also agree with Ray, an upgrade is necessary to bring this feature in.

In terms of why CAS 4.0.1 vs 4.2.x have this feature different:

the log4j library is at *1.2.17* on CAS 4.0.1
https://github.com/apereo/cas/blob/v4.0.1/pom.xml#L985

While the log4j library is at *2.5+* at the CAS 4.2.x build:
https://github.com/apereo/cas/blob/v4.2.0/gradle.properties#L23

Therefore, without upgrading your CAS, you will not be able to use this
feature. Not only that, maintenance for CAS 4.x is EOL a very long time
ago:
https://apereo.github.io/cas/developer/Maintenance-Policy.html#eol-schedule.
Upgrade to 6.x is highly recommended.

Cheers.