A good (and free) place to start is
https://freecomputerbooks.com/Identity-Management-on-a-Shoestring.html

1. You will have an application that will perform the authentication.
2. You will add a library/plugin to your application, or along side it, that
will 'protect' the application and make sure the user is authenticated.

I suggest you tackle item 1 first. It is the more complex side of the relation.
There are often multiple options for 2 depending on your choice for 1. In the
rare case, you may have to write your own solution for 2, but that would/should
be a last resort.

There are a number of open source solutions to 1 (and 2). If you are a php
shop, take a look at SimpleSAMLphp, https://simplesamlphp.org/
Most SSO solutions can do multiple protocols. Cas does CAS and SAML protocols,
Shibboleth does SAML and CAS protocols. All three can do other protocols as
well.

SAML is a protocol used by a lot of web based applications, especially in the
cloud vendor market.
CAS has a client library that can be added to each application's code base and
enabled with simple configuration.

If you have O365, you may have access to other features, check your license.
Azure may be an option.

The federation aspect of SAML authentication eases the management of multiple
applications (service provider, SP or relying party, RP) interacting with
multiple authentication providers (identity providers, IdP). Many countries and
regions have a federation and there is a global one, eduGAIN,
https://edugain.org/

Beware of the commercial vendors, there are a lot of them and there is a lot of
competition. They will work hard to pull you in. Open source solutions are very
capable, maybe even more so.

Ray