Thanks for the tip on the ultimate edition.

Cas uses a number of keys for various tasks. If the key is not present in your
config, cas will create one on boot. It will be different each time cas starts
and, of course, anything persisted with the earlier key will no longer be
accessible.
There will be some log messages to let you know:

cas | 2023-08-25 18:52:34,189 WARN [
org.aper.cas.util.ciph.BaseStringCipherExecutor] - <Secret key for encryption
is not defined for [Ticket-granting Cookie]; CAS will attempt to auto-generate
the encryption key> [main]
cas | 2023-08-25 18:52:34,201 WARN [
org.aper.cas.util.ciph.BaseStringCipherExecutor] - <Generated encryption key
[-Tt6GwcfiQu6Sg_gwYlnUzxhRxOJVFbT6gQra7tSwzs] of size [256] for
[Ticket-granting Cookie]. The generated key MUST be added to CAS settings:
cas |
cas | cas.tgc.crypto.encryption.key=-Tt6GwcfiQu6Sg_gwYlnUzxhRxOJVFbT6gQra7tSwzs
cas |
cas | > [main]
cas | 2023-08-25 18:52:34,204 WARN [
org.aper.cas.util.ciph.BaseStringCipherExecutor] - <Secret key for signing is
not defined for [Ticket-granting Cookie]. CAS will attempt to auto-generate the
signing key> [main]
cas | 2023-08-25 18:52:34,204 WARN [
org.aper.cas.util.ciph.BaseStringCipherExecutor] - <Generated signing key
[Gc2fjXd0ev0L7r_FnwN1XStSxYgatoeoipld5nGt78KfKM5FBTwWYbsvOox4LDcvCLmP8-4JEdDkmzvpJJ1kWg]
 of size [512] for [Ticket-granting Cookie]. The generated key MUST be added to
CAS settings:
cas |
cas |
cas.tgc.crypto.signing.key=Gc2fjXd0ev0L7r_FnwN1XStSxYgatoeoipld5nGt78KfKM5FBTwWYbsvOox4LDcvCLmP8-4JEdDkmzvpJJ1kWg

You can use the key values generated by cas rather than trying to create them
yourself.

It looks like the web runner is pulling from the repository instead of using
the built files in the project.
There is this gradlew command, publishToMavenLocal, to install locally. (See
bottom of
https://apereo.github.io/cas/development/developer/Build-Process.html#sample-build-aliases.)

You can also copy the jar file, to which you made code changes, to your
~/.m2/repository/...

Ray