> 1. If in our app, there are multiple .htaccess files within the branches of
> a website.
> that have the same AuthType, AuthName, AuthUserFile and AuthGroupFile
> but a different "require" apache directive values for both users and groups
> to restrict which users or groups has access to specific subdirectories in
> our website which is part of Apache Core
> would that retrigger m-a-c  to reauthenticate? Or if a user is authenticated
> when a particular 'require valid-user' , 'require user foo' or 'require
> group foo' be locally checked and the m-a-c module will some how remember
> who was authenticated and not have to do another round trip to the
> CAS Server.

m-a-c creates a session and sets a cookie that records the current
user name.  The cookie is scoped to the current path (unless
overridden by CASScope).  Browsing to a different path with trigger
m-a-c to reauthenticate.  In other words, you will be required to
authenticate at https://www.server.com/a, and then again at
https://www.server.com/b , but not at https://www.server.com/a/c .  If
you set CASScope to "/", then the cookie path will be set to "/", and
no reauthentication round-trip will be necessary.

> 2. Another important question to me is, if currently our existing web app is
> using .htaccess files to control access to certain subdirectories by using
> .htaccess files and the Require user xxx and Require group xxx xxx Apache
> Core directives
> from the README file
> https://www.ja-sig.org/svn/cas-clients/mod_auth_cas/trunk/README
> It suggests that the Apache directives
> Will those existing directives (AuthName, AuthUserFile, AuthGroupFile,
> require) still be recognized and enforced by Apache either through
> Apache Core directives 'require valid-user', 'require group foo' work, so
> I'm assuming require user peter would be enforced.
> However, would the directives AuthName, AuthUserFile, AuthGroupFile have any
> meaning with the m-a-c where 'AuthType CAS' is set?

Haven't used AuthGroupFile, but AuthName and AuthUserFile are
meaningless in terms of m-a-c.  The "require valid-user" or "require
xxx" will perform authorization based upon the user name provided by
m-a-c.

> For example, if I had a require valid-user, in some .htaccess file that was
> protected by m-a-c, would the m-a-c module first lookup to see if that user
> is in the file referenced by AuthUserFile and if in there then make a call
> to the CAS Server to verify that that user is valid?
Nope -- no need for AuthUserFile.  Any CAS authenticated user is a
valid-user.  For finer granularity, use "require xxx yyy zzz".

> How are groups handled though?  With AuthType basic, from my understanding,
> users are checked to see if they are in the correct group which is looked up
> at the location of AuthGroupFile XXX.  Since I don't believe CAS has the
> concept of groups, I am thinking that the m-a-c module would rely on the
> group file reference by AuthGroupFile to see if that user was in the
> particular group referenced by the 'require group foo' for example and then
> possibly do a CAS server check to log him in if not already authenticated.
> Please confirm.

Not sure - give it a shot and let us know.

> Is the AuthName also still compatible or enforced with the m-a-c?

Nope - AuthName is a BasicAuth construct.

> 3.  If we are a Windows 2003 Server box running Apache, can this module work
> with it?  Are their any recipes to help me compile this module for that
> platform using free software?  Maybe Cygwin?

Take a look at README.win32 in the source tree.

HTH,
-Matt

--
m...@forsetti.com