> how can I
> just get CAS LDAP + Spring Security to keep all of the defined
> groups/associations in the directory.acme.com and propagate them to
> the client

Using the CAS attribute release feature,
http://www.ja-sig.org/wiki/display/CASUM/Attributes, you can release
arbitrary user attributes, e.g. LDAP group membership, to CAS services
at service ticket validation time.  I believe the Spring Security
component you need is
GrantedAuthorityFromAssertionAttributesUserDetailsService, which is
part of the CAS integration module of Spring Security 3.0 and later.
It's very important to use Saml11TicketValidationFilter,
http://www.ja-sig.org/wiki/display/CASC/Configuring+the+JA-SIG+CAS+Client+for+Java+in+the+web.xml,
otherwise your client will not receive attributes from CAS.

Once you get this working, it would be great if you could contribute a
working example to
http://www.ja-sig.org/wiki/display/CASC/Using+the+CAS+Client+3.1+with+Spring+Security.