I am having a problem with the FastBindLdapAuthenticationHandler where every
second attempt of a failed authentication is returning success. For instance,
entering username 'abcd' and password '1234' fails, but doing it again the
second time gives me a 'Login successful'.

I see this in the logs:

2010-04-13 13:01:30,469 DEBUG
[org.jasig.cas.adaptors.ldap.FastBindLdapAuthenticationHandler] - <Performing
LDAP bind with credential: uid=abcd,ou=people,o=server.edu.au>
2010-04-13 13:01:30,533 INFO
[org.jasig.cas.authentication.AuthenticationManagerImpl] -
<AuthenticationHandler:
org.jasig.cas.adaptors.ldap.FastBindLdapAuthenticationHandler failed to
authenticate the user which provided the following credentials: [username:
abcd]>
2010-04-13 13:01:39,150 DEBUG
[org.jasig.cas.adaptors.ldap.FastBindLdapAuthenticationHandler] - <Performing
LDAP bind with credential: uid=abcd,ou=people,o=server.edu.au>
2010-04-13 13:01:39,150 INFO
[org.jasig.cas.authentication.AuthenticationManagerImpl] -
<AuthenticationHandler:
org.jasig.cas.adaptors.ldap.FastBindLdapAuthenticationHandler successfully
authenticated the user which provided the following credentials: [username:
abcd]>

I followed this to the letter, for the FastBindLdap setup.
http://www.ja-sig.org/wiki/display/CASUM/LDAP

Any ideas?

cheers,
Steve