So, I copied the web.xml file from the source tarball
(/usr/local/src/cas-server-3.3.5/cas-server-webapp/src/main/webapp/WEB-I
NF/web.xml) to my $PROJ_HOME/src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/ directory.

Rebuilt the package from my $PROJ_HOME (mvn clean package)

Things looked good.

I shutdown tomcat,
remove the ~tomcat/webapps/cas directory tree
copy over the new cas.war file to ~tomcat/webapps/cas.war
startup tomcat, and watch the catalina.out file:

May 5, 2010 4:46:01 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
validateJarFile
INFO:
validateJarFile(/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/cas/WEB-INF/lib/servlet-api-2.
4.jar) - jar not loaded. See Servlet Spec 2.3,               section
9.7.2. Offending class: javax/servlet/Servlet.class
(org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoader).
SafeContextLoaderListener:
The Spring ContextLoaderListener we wrap threw on contextInitialized.
But for our having caught this error, the web application context would
not have initialized.
org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanDefinitionStoreException: Could
not resolve bean definition resource pattern [/WEB-INF/
spring-configuration/*.xml]; nested exception is
java.io.FileNotFoundException: ServletContext resource
[/WEB-INF/spring-configuration/] cannot be resolved to URL because it
does not exist
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanDefinitionReader.l
oadBeanDefinitions(AbstractBeanDefinitionR              eader.java:190)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanDefinitionReader.l
oadBeanDefinitions(AbstractBeanDefinitionR              eader.java:149)
        at
org.springframework.web.context.support.XmlWebApplicationContext.loadBea
nDefinitions(XmlWebApplicationContext.java              :124)
        at
org.springframework.web.context.support.XmlWebApplicationContext.loadBea
nDefinitions(XmlWebApplicationContext.java              :92)
        at
org.springframework.context.support.AbstractRefreshableApplicationContex
t.refreshBeanFactory(AbstractRefreshableAp
plicationContext.java:123)
        at
org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.obtainFre
shBeanFactory(AbstractApplicationContext.j              ava:422)
        at
org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.refresh(A
bstractApplicationContext.java:352)
        at
org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoader.createWebApplicationContex
t(ContextLoader.java:255)
        at
org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoader.initWebApplicationContext(
ContextLoader.java:199)
        at
org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener.contextInitialized
(ContextLoaderListener.java:45)
        at
org.jasig.cas.web.init.SafeContextLoaderListener.contextInitialized(Safe
ContextLoaderListener.java:62)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart(StandardContext.j
ava:3972)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4467
)
        at
org.apache.catalina.manager.ManagerServlet.start(ManagerServlet.java:127
6)
        at
org.apache.catalina.manager.HTMLManagerServlet.start(HTMLManagerServlet.
java:624)
        at
org.apache.catalina.manager.HTMLManagerServlet.doGet(HTMLManagerServlet.
java:136)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:617)
        at
tionFilterChain.java:290)
        at
erChain.java:206)
        at
e.java:233)
        at
e.java:191)
        at
org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(Authenticator
Base.java:558)
        at
:127)
        at
:102)
        at
java:109)
        at
org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:2
98)
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:85
2)
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(
Http11Protocol.java:588)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:489)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:636)
Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: ServletContext resource
[/WEB-INF/spring-configuration/] cannot be resolved to URL
because it does not exist
        at
org.springframework.web.context.support.ServletContextResource.getURL(Se
rvletContextResource.java:130)
        at
org.springframework.core.io.support.PathMatchingResourcePatternResolver.
isJarResource(PathMatchingResourcePatternR
esolver.java:406)
        at
org.springframework.core.io.support.PathMatchingResourcePatternResolver.
findPathMatchingResources(PathMatchingReso
urcePatternResolver.java:338)
        at
org.springframework.core.io.support.PathMatchingResourcePatternResolver.
getResources(PathMatchingResourcePatternRe              solver.java:276)
        at
org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.getResour
ces(AbstractApplicationContext.java:1018)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanDefinitionReader.l
oadBeanDefinitions(AbstractBeanDefinitionR              eader.java:177)
        ... 30 more
May 5, 2010 4:46:01 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Error listenerStart
May 5, 2010 4:46:01 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Context [/cas] startup failed due to previous errors

I am really not a java person, what does this mean???

v/r,

Rob Mckennon