I'm trying to set up CAS to authenticate Apache (httpd) webservers.
I am quite familiar with httpd, not much with Java or Tomcat.

I installed tomcat5 from yum/RPM on CENTOS5 with Sun Java and it failed to start until I did "export RPM_BUILD_ROOT=/usr/share/java/; /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/brp-java-repack-jars". A RedHat packaging issue but annoying all the same.

I installed cas-server-3.4.2 from tarball and per INSTALL.txt
got SimpleTestUsernamePassword to work :-)

/var/log/tomcat5/catalina.out said cas.log could not be written until I gave it a full path /var/log/tomcat5/cas.log in
/usr/share/tomcat5/webapps/cas-server-webapp-3.4.2/WEB-INF/classes/log4j.xml
per the list archives. Linux starts Tomcat as a service from init.d, so doubtless the working directory is / or something.

I would like to 1) use LDAP authentication
and 2) use mod_auth_cas (which appears to be installed and working)

There is a big jump in skills required between INSTALL.txt and
the wiki entry for LDAP authentication. Is there anything simpler ?

I found http://www.ja-sig.org/wiki/display/CASUM/Demo
which is written for cas-server-3.0 on Windows, not 3.4 on Linux.
It says "You have no clue about SSL, server certificates etc. But you know enough of Java, J2EE, Tomcat that someone is paying you for it"
But I know about SSL and server certificates. It's J2EE and Tomcat
I have no clue about :-7

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada