Looks like you are using the CAS 1.0 protocol when talking to your CAS
server.  You should do one of the following:

1) Use the CAS 2.0 protocol, generally by replacing "validate" with
"serviceValidate" in CASValidateURL (if your CAS server supports it)

2) Add "CASVersion 1" to your conf, forcing m-a-c to use the CAS 1.0
protocol.

Please let us know if this helps,
- -Matt

On 11/11/2010 04:06 PM, Bob Frank wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm helping Kim Cary install CAS on a Mac OS X SL Apache instance
> using mod_auth_cas, and could use a little help. I checked out the
> source using:
>
>> svn co https://source.jasig.org/cas-clients/mod_auth_cas/trunk/
>

> built via:
>> apxs -i -c mod_auth_cas.c
>
> The server is running Apache 2.2.14 and its a Mac OS X Server 10.6.4
>
> Just for testing, for the moment, we're just protecting a directory "/
> castest" in the Doc Root, here are my Apache config directives:
>
>> CASDebug On
>> CASLoginURL https://cas.pepperdine.edu:8443/cas/login
>> CASValidateURL https://cas.pepperdine.edu:8443/cas/validate
>> CASCookiePath /var/cache/apache2/mod_auth_cas/
>> CASCertificatePath /etc/certificates/
>> CASValidateServer Off
>>
>> <Location /castest >
>> AuthType CAS
>> AuthName "CAS"
>> require valid-user
>> </Location>
>
> I get redirected to the CAS server, get the ticket, mod_auth_cas sees
> the ticket and validates it via the CAS server, but can't correctly
> interpret the response coming back from the CAS server validation.
>
> We can't debug it any further at this point and am a bit stumped.
> I'd appreciate any help solving this issue or advice on how to debug
> it further.
>
> CAS Error message:
>
>> [Thu Nov 11 12:56:40 2010] [error] [client MY.IP.ADDRESS]
>> MOD_AUTH_CAS: error parsing CASv2 response: XML parser error code:
>> syntax error (2)
>

> Thanks,
> Bob

- --