Pete,

I am aware of a few people that have attempted to use NFS to share the
CASCookiePath, with mixed success.  NFS seems to have better locking
semantics than AFS (which effectively has none).  But, I have not
heard that anyone has been truly happy using NFS for this.

I am quite interested in a memcached solution.  I haven't talked to
Phil yet, but I would be very interested in a memcached patch --
particularly if the session storage is refactored to be modular and
switchable by runtime configuration parameter.

- -Matt

On 02/17/2011 11:02 AM, Pete Birkinshaw wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is anyone else using Mod Auth CAS with clustered servers and shared
> sessions? I would be grateful for advice on how to share session
> state between servers.
>
> I have colleagues using Mod Auth CAS on four clusters of eight
> Linux servers. Each cluster is load-balanced (without sticky
> sessions) and uses AFS for shared storage. Until recently CAS
> session files were stored on an AFS partition (the CASCookiePath).
> However, we've recently had some mysterious problems with Apache
> processes and as part of the investigation Mod Auth CAS session
> files were moved off the shared AFS storage and are no longer
> clustered.
>
> As you would expect, this is causing a *lot* more traffic to the
> CAS server and isn't a good solution. Simply moving back to AFS may
> bring scalability issues - I don't think AFS is a good fit due to
> frequent writes, lack of locking in AFS, sync overhead, and so on.
> We've seen similar situations with PHP session files. Sticky
> sessions aren't possible on this service as we're getting thousands
> of connections per second.
>
> My preference is to patch Mod Auth CAS to use Memcached, Redis or
> something similar to share state but this might take awhile to
> arrange.
>
> Has anyone already worked around this problem?
>
> Pete Birkinshaw
>
> -- Peter Birkinshaw Senior Directory and Registration
> Administrator IT Services Division | +44 (0)161 306 3118
> The University of Manchester | PGP: 0xB7B0B433

- --
Matthew J. Smith
University of Connecticut UITS
matt.sm...@uconn.edu