As for the question "Do I need SSL even thought this is over a private
network" the answer should be "YES!!" regardless of CAS. Any time you
send credentials over a network, any network, you should be encrypting
it. An infected or compromised machine on that network could do a lot
of damage.

Jeff

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 7:37 AM, William G. Thompson, Jr.
<wgt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 10:14 PM, Faisal Memon <fmemo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello Everyone,
>>   I followed the instructions and i think i got quiet far
>> 1. CAS server was succesfully installed on a windows server
>> 2. .net Portal was successfully casified
>> Now  when i click on link to get login screen i get redirected to CAS server
>> home which is good. But
>> 1. I see the message that i will need SSL to do Single Signon; however  all
>> the three servers, portal and CAS server are communicating using computer
>> name (basically they are all on private network and using internal ip to
>> communicate).
>> 2. Another issue is that i enter the student username and password on the
>> CAS server login screen and get a message that The credentials you provided
>> cannot be determined to be authentic. How can i login using the student
>> username and password.
>
> You have to configure an AuthenticationHandler in
> deployConfigContent.xml that matches your primary means of
> authentication.
> https://wiki.jasig.org/display/CASUM/Authentication
>

>> 3. I enter the default Netid and Password and get a message that You are
>> currently accessing CAS over a non-secure connection. Single Sign on WILL
>> NOT WORK. In order to have single sign on work, you MUST log in over HTTPS.
>> Do i need a SSL even though i am communicating over private network
>
> Yes.
>
>> I will appreciate any help that can be provided, while i continue my
>> research
>> Thanks
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 8:24 AM, Scott M. Holodak <sholo...@princeton.edu>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>

>>> I’m not familiar with CMC’s portal software.  However, if it uses Forms
>>> Authentication it should be straightforward to integrate without any code
>>> changes to their portal.  See here:
>>> https://wiki.jasig.org/display/CASC/.Net+Cas+Client
>>>

>>> If their portal software doesn’t use Forms Authentication but supports
>>> bypassing their authentication logic, you may still have some luck with this
>>> method: https://wiki.jasig.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=35389878
>>>

>>> To see if whether or not they are using Forms Authentication, look inside
>>> web.config at the root of the application:
>>>

>>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>>>
>>> <configuration>

>>>   <system.web>

>>>     <authentication mode="Forms">
>>>
>>>       <forms ...
>>>

>>> -Scott

Jeff Chapin,
Assistant Systems/Applications Administrator
ITS-IS, University of Northern Iowa
Phone: 319-273-3162 Email: jeff.cha...@uni.edu