Amanda,

The CAS wiki is the best place to start:

https://wiki.jasig.org/display/CASUM/Home

At my university, we use the Maven overlay method, which makes it easy to
only customize the bits that you need (configs, theme code, etc.):

https://wiki.jasig.org/display/CASUM/Best+Practice+-+Setting+Up+CAS+Locally+using+the+Maven2+WAR+Overlay+Method

I'm not a Java person, but I was able to build a test server using those
instructions (with a little help!).

-Aaron

Aaron Fuleki
Senior Web Architect