> 1. Do you have any recommendations on the c3p0 config parameters?

I added our prod pool config to
https://wiki.jasig.org/display/CASUM/JpaTicketRegistry for you benefit
as well as others.  It's come up before.

> 2. I'm assuming those parameters (${database.pool.minSize}, etc) will go into
> cas.properties?

That's probably easiest, but you should consider factoring that file
out to the filesystem where you can control file permissions to
restrict access if it contains database connection parameters (e.g.
username/password).  If it's part of the war, it'll get copied with
default file permissions of your shell, which by default is 644 (in
other words world readable).