Thanks Marvin for the pointers.

The keyword was cas log files. I didn't see any cas.log.
I only checked logs under tomcat's home folder's /log folder, and the cas.log
was not there. It was under /bin, because from that folder, I ran my tomcat. So
I panicked.

Now I "found" it, it was very clear what was wrong:

//-----------------------------
Cannot create inner bean
'org.jasig.cas.adaptors.jdbc.SearchModeSearchDatabaseAuthenticationHandler#6ac67a88'
 of type
[org.jasig.cas.adaptors.jdbc.SearchModeSearchDatabaseAuthenticationHandler]
while setting bean property 'authenticationHandlers' with key [1]; nested
exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.CannotLoadBeanClassException:
Cannot find class
[org.jasig.cas.adaptors.jdbc.SearchModeSearchDatabaseAuthenticationHandler] for
bean with name
'org.jasig.cas.adaptors.jdbc.SearchModeSearchDatabaseAuthenticationHandler#6ac67a88'
 defined in ServletContext resource [/WEB-INF/deployerConfigContext.xml];
nested exception is java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.jasig.cas.adaptors.jdbc.SearchModeSearchDatabaseAuthenticationHandler
//----

No I did not have my "SearchModeSearch...." class. Or I did not put it in
proper place.

Now, In the following page, Stephen More and Mark Rogers use that bean, and I
used the construct without thinking about the jar files.

Now I need to figure out which jar file has that class. I can unzip every jar
thar comes with the cas and look into it, but there should be a smart way to
find out.

Cheers, and thanks again for the pointers.

--- On Mon, 2012/1/23, Marvin Addison <marvin.addi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> With the SimpleTestUsernamePasswordAuthenticationHandler, I get the CAS login
> screen  (https://localhost:8443/cas/login)  all right, but with the
> SearchModeSearchDatabaseAuthenticationHandler, I get an HTTP 404
Likely deployment errors.  Details should be in cas.log and/or tomcat logs.
Post log excerpts if you want help troubleshooting specific errors.

> Among other things, I don't know how to tell the CAS where to find the file
> that has the "com.mysql.jdbc.Driver".
Best practice is to put on container classpath, for example tomcat/lib
directory.
You are currently subscribed to cas-user@lists.jasig.org as: s4...@yahoo.co.jp