Ben,

I can sympathize with your situation, so I took the time to ask around
here about the state of things.  It is as I thought: we decided upon
an integration strategy between Luminis and an external CAS server
that leverages the BEIS components.  While we never actually
implemented that particular integration option (due to ditching
Luminis), we have integrated other Sungard components with our
enterprise CAS service, and that gives me confidence to say that
Luminis can be made to work similarly.

Based on a brief conversation I had with the project manager on
Sungard/CAS integration here, Ken McCrery, it sounds like a fairly
difficult undertaking in large part due to undocumented functionality:

"[The BEIS handbook] contains a sections on Luminis configuration.
One word of caution is that these documents do not always contain the
entire story.  We found over the years that we needed SGHE consultants
to provide some of the finer details to actually make some of these
components work.  In other words, I wouldn't get too bogged down
trying to make something work if it doesn't make sense."

While I cannot redistribute the BEIS Handbook Ken mentioned, I'm quite
certain you can get a hold of it.  The full title:

BANNER ENTERPRISE IDENTITY SERVICES HANDBOOK
Release 8.1.4

Good luck on your adventure.