Thanks for this info. I will use this to help put pressure on getting our
CAS install updated to 3.5.0 as soon as possible.

At this point in time, one of my coworkers has written a new check that we
are using, and is adequate for several of our hosts -- it both supports
/cas/login, as well as accessing CAS protected resources and validating
that they are loading correctly. As soon as we get the approvals to release
the code, I will upload it to the wiki.

Jeff

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 8:25 AM, Marvin Addison <marvin.addi...@gmail.com>wrote:

> > I am attempting to get the check_nagios.pl plugin for nagios to work. I
> > found this plugin on the CAS wiki
> > (https://wiki.jasig.org/display/CASUM/Nagios+plugins).
>
> I have a feeling that most if not all of the problem lies in the Perl
> script.  I briefly reviewed it, and one thing is certain: the
> viewStatistics page is simply an inappropriate target for enterprise
> monitoring.  That page requires an authenticated view and special
> authorization by the viewer; having to deal with credentials in your
> health checks is a bad practice at best.
>
> There is a new status URI in CAS 3.5.0, /stats, that has been designed
> for enterprise monitoring.  You can simply authorize an IP/netblock
> and hit the URI and it will report on meaningful statistics in easily
> parsable plain text.  It has support for memory stats, LDAP pool
> health, and ticket registry stats for some registries at present.
> More to come for the next release.  The only downside is that it's
> poorly documented, but maybe your post will pressure me to document
> the feature sooner than later.  Take a look at the healthCheckMonitor
> bean in the deployerConfigContext.xml that ships with 3.5.0 [1] for
> starters.

> [1]
> https://github.com/Jasig/cas/blob/master/cas-server-webapp/src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/deployerConfigContext.xml

> jeff.cha...@uni.edu

Jeff Chapin,
Assistant Systems/Applications Administrator
ITS-IS, University of Northern Iowa
Phone: 319-273-3162 Email: jeff.cha...@uni.edu