There was a session on this topic at the Apereo conference:
http://lanyrd.com/2013/apereo/schwpd/

Andrew Petro suggested either

1) Changing the message to tell users to logoff from the OS or lock screen
when they want to leave their seats.

2) A coronal mass ejection

For your own browser, if you turn off the "restore sessions upon restart"
feature, then you don't get that behavior, at least in chrome and I think
FF.

david