Mark,

See if adding lines 130-133 from the link below to the
EhcacheTicketRegistry.java file solves the problem:

https://github.com/Jasig/cas/blob/3.5.x/cas-server-integration-ehcache/src
/main/java/org/jasig/cas/ticket/registry/EhCacheTicketRegistry.java#L130

This block effectively:

    @Override

    protected boolean needsCallback(){

         return false;