> I still wonder what's the purpose of the sequence numbers -
> probably to absolutely ensure uniqueness?

I believe that's correct. The guidelines for unique identifiers that
I'm familiar with recommend including both sequential data and secure
random data, and the format of CAS TGTs is consistent with that
practice. I should note that the only requirement mentioned of tickets
in the CAS protocol doc is that identifiers SHOULD start with a
particular prefix and MUST contain adequate random data to prevent
guessing. So you can change the format with confidence you won't have
trouble with well-behaved CAS clients. In practice I'm pretty sure you
could switch to another IdGenerator component and not run into
trouble.