I'm not sure I am reading this right:
[INFO] [dependency:tree {execution: default-cli}]
[INFO] edu.university.cas:local-cas:war:1.0-SNAPSHOT
[INFO] +- org.jasig.cas:cas-server-webapp:war:3.5.2:runtime
[INFO] +- c3p0:c3p0:jar:0.9.1.2:runtime
[INFO] \- org.hibernate:hibernate-entitymanager:jar:4.3.4.Final:compile
[INFO]    +- org.jboss.logging:jboss-logging:jar:3.1.3.GA:compile
[INFO]    +-
org.jboss.logging:jboss-logging-annotations:jar:1.2.0.Beta1:compile
[INFO]    +- org.hibernate:hibernate-core:jar:4.3.4.Final:compile
[INFO]    |  +- antlr:antlr:jar:2.7.7:compile
[INFO]    |  \- org.jboss:jandex:jar:1.1.0.Final:compile
[INFO]    +- dom4j:dom4j:jar:1.6.1:compile
[INFO]    |  \- xml-apis:xml-apis:jar:1.0.b2:compile
[INFO]    +-
org.hibernate.common:hibernate-commons-annotations:jar:4.0.4.Final:compile
[INFO]    +-
org.hibernate.javax.persistence:hibernate-jpa-2.1-api:jar:1.0.0.Final:compile
[INFO]    +-
org.jboss.spec.javax.transaction:jboss-transaction-api_1.2_spec:jar:1.0.0.Final:compile
[INFO]    \- org.javassist:javassist:jar:3.18.1-GA:compile

I'm not seeing any duplicates.

Jeff