> We've looked at
> https://<server>/cas/status but can't tell if the memory usage there
> includes an ehcache ticket registry or if that is excluded.

The MemoryMonitor simply looks at overall JVM memory usage. While
ehcache may, depending on configuration, use off-heap memory
allocations that are invisible to this monitor, the condition you
reported should have been detectable with MemoryMonitor enabled. That
said, there may be better monitoring and reporting tools to help avoid
this situation in the future.

> I know I've asked this question before and never gotten an answer (maybe
> no one knows), but is there any way we can monitor the number of tickets
> (TGTs, LTs, STs) in an ehcache?

If you use separate cache instances for each ticket type, you can get
total object counts _or_ byte counts with EhCacheMonitor; if you use a
single cache instance (common) for all tickets, you get only a single
total for all tickets. Reviewing the following code may help:

https://github.com/Jasig/cas/blob/f149144d7258dd592c38bc4325b0aa9d7159860d/cas-server-integration-ehcache/src/main/java/org/jasig/cas/monitor/EhCacheStatistics.java

> Finally, are there any "best practices" surrounding regular restarts of
> the servers (any known memory leaks, etc) and what would the timing of
> those restarts need to be?

Scheduled restarts simply are not a best practice. I would try to
solve the root problem, and punt to scheduled restarts as an option of
last resort if you can't fix the cause.