There are a few differences between the native JSON service registry and
that of CAS:
http://jasig.github.io/cas/development/installation/Service-Management.html#persisting-registered-service-data

The native implementation assumes that configuration files are stored in a
directory, which it will use to recursively look for service definitions.
Each service definition is stored inside a single file. The format and
syntax of these files are also different because they closely mimic the CAS
object model for services. This provides the flexibility for CAS to change
its model as needed without having to change the implementation to support
the new changes. Rather than individual bits and pieces that would control a
service behavior, we have introduced types to combine those pieces. At the
same time, this also means it might be more difficult to understand the file
if you were going to change this manually. (Note the @class elements in the
snippet above) CAS itself periodically reloads its service definitions
regardless of the backend implementation, so that should also work with the
JSON option.

Opinions vary here but if you'd rather use an interface to change service
definitions then the syntax/format would be less important since you're no
longer hand massaging the configuration files. In the past, the interface
has gotten less use than hoped I suppose, because it's not as user friend
and intuitive as most folks would like. It's been a while since it's gotten
any attention.

If you need to expose administrative privileges to a group to allow for
service changes, or if you wish to apply those changes without having direct
access to the CAS host (or wherever the files are hosted), then the
management interface is for you. We plan to work on the interface next to
allow support for the full range of features CAS now provides over its
service configuration and this, along with the native json impl should
become available in the next 4.1 release.