What are you using as your CAS client?  mod_auth_cas, by chance?
IIRC, I was getting a similar error when I didn't have:

  CASValidateSaml On

in my apache/mod_auth_cas config.

If you're not using mod_auth_cas, perhaps there's some similar config
that's missing for the client you are using, that specifies that
you're doing SAML validation, and hence sends the appropriate
parameters to the CAS server on the validation call.

Milt Epstein
Applications Developer
Graduate School of Library and Information Science (GSLIS)
mepst...@illinois.edu