Here is the log from cas.log that follow the failure, then success. Not sure if
it helps.

2015-01-09 12:55:36,626 INFO
[com.github.inspektr.audit.support.Slf4jLoggingAuditTrailManager] - Audit trail
record BEGIN
WHO: audit:unknown
WHAT: supplied credentials: [USERID+password]
ACTION: AUTHENTICATION_FAILED
APPLICATION: CAS
WHEN: Fri Jan 09 12:55:36 PST 2015
CLIENT IP ADDRESS: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
SERVER IP ADDRESS: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

2015-01-09 12:55:36,627 INFO
[com.github.inspektr.audit.support.Slf4jLoggingAuditTrailManager] - Audit trail
record BEGIN
WHO: audit:unknown
WHAT: 1 errors, 0 successes
ACTION: TICKET_GRANTING_TICKET_NOT_CREATED
APPLICATION: CAS
WHEN: Fri Jan 09 12:55:36 PST 2015
CLIENT IP ADDRESS: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
SERVER IP ADDRESS: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

2015-01-09 12:55:42,511 INFO
[org.jasig.cas.authentication.PolicyBasedAuthenticationManager] -
SearchModeSearchDatabaseAuthenticationHandler successfully authenticated
USERID+password
2015-01-09 12:55:42,511 INFO
[org.jasig.cas.authentication.PolicyBasedAuthenticationManager] - Authenticated
USERID with credentials [USERID+password].
2015-01-09 12:55:42,512 INFO
[com.github.inspektr.audit.support.Slf4jLoggingAuditTrailManager] - Audit trail
record BEGIN
WHO: audit:unknown
WHAT: supplied credentials: [USERID+password]
ACTION: AUTHENTICATION_SUCCESS
APPLICATION: CAS
WHEN: Fri Jan 09 12:55:42 PST 2015
CLIENT IP ADDRESS: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
SERVER IP ADDRESS: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

2015-01-09 12:55:42,513 INFO
[com.github.inspektr.audit.support.Slf4jLoggingAuditTrailManager] - Audit trail
record BEGIN
WHO: audit:unknown
WHAT:
TGT-11-xaHYKGFBbFcOBAmNqZWPWbvsSYOtfLY7TkgCBIrfMll0hFBJQd-cas01.example.org
ACTION: TICKET_GRANTING_TICKET_CREATED