It should be possible to do it with 3.5 -- I've done it with both
3.4.12 (which I'm pretty sure is very similar to 3.5) and 4.0.x; it
was easier with 4.0.x, at least the way I did it, but with 3.4.12 it
also wasn't bad.

With 3.4.12, I used a JSON services registry file, and an add-on
written in Groovy -- so that add-on needed to be included and some
related configuration.  I don't have direct access to it now, but you
should be able to find info on it in the archives of this list, and
also just on the web (i.e., do a web search).

With 4.0.x, I used a YAML services registry file, that also required
an add-on and some configuration, but the add-on was easier to include
-- just the dependency in pom.xml, no extra code.

These add-ons were written/supported by Dmitriy Kopylenko, who's on
the list, so he may be able to give you some pointers.

Milt Epstein
Programmer in Computational Genomics
Institute for Genomic Biology (IGB)
mepst...@illinois.edu