Hello,

We are in the process of updating our CAS to version 3.5.3 using an LDAP (not
LDAPS at the moment) for attributes. The current setup is two CAS nodes behind
an f5 LTM for load balancing, using the Ehcache distributed ticket registry.
All seems to be working ok for the most part except that we get the following
intermittent login error:

:org.springframework.ldap.CommunicationException: Connection reset; nested
exception is javax.naming.CommunicationException: Connection reset [Root
exception is java.net.SocketException: Connection reset]; remaining name
'ou=People,o=cp'

Here are the first several lines from the trace in the CAS log:

ERROR [org.jasig.cas.authentication.AuthenticationManagerImpl] -
org.jasig.cas.adaptors.ldap.BindLdapAuthenticationHandler threw error
authenticating [username: teststudent]
org.springframework.ldap.CommunicationException: Connection reset; nested
exception is javax.naming.CommunicationException: Connection reset [Root
exception is java.net.SocketException: Connection reset]; remaining name
'ou=People,o=cp'
        at
org.springframework.ldap.support.LdapUtils.convertLdapException(LdapUtils.java:100)
        at
org.springframework.ldap.core.LdapTemplate.search(LdapTemplate.java:318)
        at
org.springframework.ldap.core.LdapTemplate.search(LdapTemplate.java:360)
        at
org.jasig.cas.adaptors.ldap.BindLdapAuthenticationHandler.authenticateUsernamePasswordInternal(BindLdapAuthenticationHandler.java:90)
        at
org.jasig.cas.authentication.handler.support.AbstractUsernamePasswordAuthenticationHandler.doAuthentication(AbstractUsernamePasswordAuthenticationHandler.java:71)
        at
org.jasig.cas.authentication.handler.support.AbstractPreAndPostProcessingAuthenticationHandler.authenticate_aroundBody2(AbstractPreAndPostProcessingAuthenticationHandler.java:85)

I've seen some related post here but haven't found any documented resolutions.
Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this?

Thank you,
Teddy