> I'd like to know if a user is 'authorized' to login to a service once they
> have a session (JSessionID), or are they only authorized after the TGT
> cookie has been set?

We modified the login flow a while back to check the service against the
ServiceRegistry in the first few steps of the flow, long before
authentication and/or ST creation. It's pretty much first thing nowadays.
You can dig through the CAS Jira for the issue to see if your version
includes the fix. (Pretty sure it was fixed when we were still on Jira.)