From: Paul B. Henson [mailto:hen...@cpp.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, September 02, 2015 1:53 PM
To: cas-user@lists.jasig.org
Subject: RE:[cas-user] Hazelcast / Slow CAS

We've been using the Hazelcast backend for ages with no problems. The virtual
machines running CAS have 2G and the following options:

-Xms1025904k -Xmx1641446k -Xloggc:/var/log/tomcat-7/java-gc.log -verbose:gc
-XX:+PrintGCDetails -XX:+PrintGCDateStamps -XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps
-XX:+UseGCLogFileRotation -XX:NumberOfGCLogFiles=10 -XX:GCLogFileSize=100m
-XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -XX:HeapDumpPath=/var/tmp/tomcat-7
-XX:+DisableExplicitGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC
-XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=500

Right now over the summer we are only getting around 3-5k logins per day. We
recently migrated to a new domain and I did not save the logs from our old CAS
servers, so I'm not sure exactly what we were getting during a normal class
session. If you are having lots of delay in garbage collection, you should be
able to see it if you enable the garbage collection log file, it has various
statistics including the time of the run, how much memory was shuffled around,
and how long it took.

We are currently evaluating migrating our CAS clients to the CAS protocol
support in the shibboleth idp v3. Unicon is working on a Hazelcast storage
backend for that too, although it is still in the development stage, not
necessarily ready for production.

--
Paul B. Henson  |  (909) 979-6361  |  http://www.cpp.edu/~henson/ Operating
Systems and Network Analyst  |  hen...@cpp.edu California State Polytechnic