Not sure if this will help out or not, but here are some notes that I had to do
to get things working for us for v4 (upgrading from v3.5.2):

You can't use the maven 2 version that was already on the boxes to build
 the new version of CAS; instead, need to download the 3.2.5 version
from http://maven.apache.org/download.cgi, extract it, and change the "maven"
symlink to point to the new install folder.

The first time I tried to run "mvn package" after doing this, I got the error:

 Non-parseable POM
/root/.m2/repository/org/jasig/parent/jasig-parent/39/jasig-parent-39.pom:
 Expected root element 'project' but found 'html'

When I looked at the contents of that .pom file, it was an HTML document that
just said basically "HTTP 301 moved permanently."

I deleted the /root/.m2 folder, and after doing so, things started running.

Now I'm getting the error:

Failed to execute goal
com.mycila.maven-license-plugin:maven-license-plugin:1.9.0:check
(default) on project cas-server: Resource
/opt/cas-server-4.0.0/src/licensing/header.txt not found in file system

Found this: https://github.com/Jasig/cas/issues/745

Modified the pom.xml file, changed

<header>${cs.dir}/src/licensing/header.txt</header>

<header>${licenseHeader}</header>

After doing so, that error went away.

Now I'm getting the error:

Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: Could not open ServletContext
resource [/WEB-INF/-servlet.xml]

I found this Jira issue about it: https://issues.jasig.org/browse/CAS-799
 which basically says "we can't reproduce the issue" and someone
recommended to disable the tests since everything else tests fine:

mvn package install -Dmaven.test.skip=true

With that said, all is working fine now :)

>>> Ron Clark <ron.cl...@armstrong.edu> 10/13/15 9:21 AM >>>
Have been working on this for 4 days and it wants to continue to kick my rear
end. I can't sem to get cas 4.1.0 to compile. Any assistance would be
appreciated.

The error is as follows:

[FATAL] Non-resolvable parent POM for org.jasig.cas:cas-server:4.1.0: Could not
transfer artifact org.jasig.parent:jasig-parent:pom:40 from/to central
(https://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2): java.lang.RuntimeException: Unexpected
error: java.security.InvalidAlgorithmParameterException: the trustAnchors
parameter must be non-empty and 'parent.relativePath' points at wrong local POM
@ line 22, column 13

Thanks in advance,

Ron

--