Timothy:

I've had nothing but troubles of a similar sort.  Consider this;

1. HTTPS to initial URL with service sends cert from Apache server or Tomcat
CAS server to user browser.
2.  The CAS client code creates a brand new HTTPS request back to the CAS
server or Apache (if used) the same cert is coming in the direction of the
CAS client.  So, Java has to 'trust' that certificate. And, if the connector
at the service application server is HTTP, the initial request won't just
remain HTTPS.
3. After CAS authenticates the user, and acknowledges the CAS client that
things are okay, the service application content (HTTPS) will come if that
server is hosting an HTTPS connector.  If it is, Tomcat will send his
certificate to the user browser.

HTH

David