William Mallard wrote:
>Zhiwei Liu wrote:
>>when I tried to compile this wide-band correlator, I got the
>>following message:
>>ERROR:Portability:3 - This Xilinx application has run out of memory
>>   or has encountered a memory conflict.  Current memory usage is
>>   2079736 kb.  You can try increasing your system's physical or
>>   virtual memory.  For technical support on this issue, please open
>>   a WebCase with this project attached at
>>   http://www.xilinx.com/support.
>>My computer has 2GB memory, and I set the virtual memory to 4GB.
>>I still had this error.  Does that mean I have to increase the
>>physical memory in order to compile the design?
>
>As i understand it, the types of computation done by Map do not allow
>for swapping, so if it can't fit all of its data into memory at once,
>it just errors out.

Hm, the more i think about this, the more absurd it sounds.  The whole
point of virtual memory is to abstract the details of physical memory
away from processes in user space, so your process shouldn't care how
much physical memory you have.

Also, i just noticed that your build died when it reached 2GB, but
your machine only has 2GB of physical memory.

Since your virtual memory is set to 4GB, you probably just need to
increase the per-process memory limit from 2GB (the default) to 3GB.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/14932.htm

>You need more physical memory.

I take that back.  Strictly speaking, you can probably get by with
what you have.  But your builds will take forever with all of that
paging.  They'd go much faster with more RAM.

So, i'll amend that to: You should really get more physical memory.

Billy