Hi Kjetil.

So, we have a ROACH system that we have set up to boot via usbboot into a full debian etch filesystem. The problem is that we get extremely low write speeds to the disk. In the order of a couple of Mbit/s.

The problem might be that your root filesystem is mounted with the 'sync' flag. Edit your /etc/rcSimple file (Init runs this script first); if you have something like:
mount -o remount,rw,sync,noatime /
change it to something like:
mount -o remount,rw,noatime /
This was my mistake - I though it would be a good idea for SD/MMC card access to be synchronous. Turns out it wasn't really. Perhaps a filesystem update is on the cards.

The other problem is the AMCC PPC440EPX USB seems to misbehave quite badly. I have been fiddling around for a day or so, trying to work out why one of our flash sticks doesn't work reliably.

Firstly, there is a known issue for the PPC440EPX USB that can lead to screw-ups when both OHCI and EHCI Linux drivers are loaded.
https://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-usb/2008/11/2/3900114
There are fixes (hacks) in the upstream kernel, but we are running off the old "ppc" tree and updating to the new "powerpc" is not an insignificant task (It will probably happen this year though). I think this leads to USB devices falling over to OHCI (full-speed) even when they are EHCI(high-speed) compatible. This leads to data-rates of 1-2 MB per second. This could also be your problem.

Now in theory, if you compile a kernel with just EHCI (high-speed mode) your USB devices should work at high speeds (9+ MB per second). However, I have seen very weird behaviour on one specific flash drive here with just EHCI compiled in. When I first insert the device the usb driver spews out errors. Then if I put in another device, which happens to work, and reinsert the old flakey flash drive it works fine from then on. This makes me think there is some software/setup problem. The same flakey device always works in OHCI mode when EHCI hasn't been compiled into the kernel.

In summary - USB on ROACH has some known problems which will hopefully improve when we update to the new mainline kernel. If you are having reliability trouble try compiling a kernel without EHCI. If you want maximum performance try compiling without OHCI. Also make sure that your root filesystem isn't mounted 'sync'.

Regards,
David

--
David George