hi louis,

i urge people to use only xilinx supported operating systems.

you might get other operating systems "to work" in the sense they might
not produce error messages and appear to compile your designs.

but we've encountered strange results when compiling with
non supported operating systems.

eg:  the fft doesn't produce correct results if you have more than
8K channels on some operating systems.
no error messages appear - the symptons are bad data coming out of the
fpga.
xilinx wouldn't say why - they just said to try an operating system
that they support and they would answer our question if we still encountered
the problem  - when we used an operating system they supported, the fft
worked fine.

dan