Thanks for the replies.  I loaded tut2b.mdl directly from the web site.

There were additional errors

These two errors occurred multiple times:

/Error: Block "const" encountered an error during execution of xlLoadDynamicListContents. Some data may not have been re-loaded correctly.

Error: Block "manipulate" encountered an error during execution of xlLoadDynamicListContents. Some data may not have been re-loaded correctly.
/
At the end there was the additional error:

/
INSTANCE:xaui_phy_0 - /users/jgreenbe/projects/tut2b/XPS_ROACH_base/system.mhs
line 416 - Running XST synthesis
ERROR:Xst:1484 - A core is unlicensed !
ERROR:EDK:546 - Aborting XST flow execution!
INFO:EDK:2246 - Refer to
/users/jgreenbe/projects/tut2b/XPS_ROACH_base/synthesis/xaui_phy_0_wrapper_xs
   t.srp for details/

NGCBUILD done.

Rebuilding cache ...
ERROR:EDK:440 - platgen failed with errors!
gmake: *** [implementation/system.bmm] Error 2
ERROR:EDK - Error while running "gmake -f system.make bits".
    Return code = 2
No changes to be saved in MSS file
Saved project XMP file
cp: cannot stat `implementation/system.bit': No such file or directory
bit file open failed
chmod: cannot access `implementation/system.bof': No such file or
directory
cp: cannot stat `implementation/system.bof': No such file or directory

Error using ==>  gen_xps_files at 702
Programation files generation failed, EDK compilation probably also
failed.